- Education Required for Addiction Counselor Credentialing
Louisiana credentials three types of addiction counselors. A Registered Addiction Counselors requires a high school diploma, 270 hours of relevant education and 6,000 hours of supervised experience. A Certified Addiction Counselors requires a bachelor’s degree, 270 of relevant education and 4,000 hours of experience. A Licensed Addiction Counselor requires a graduate degree, 270 of relevant education and 2,000 hours of experience. La. Rev. Stat. §37:3387 and Louisiana Addictive Disorder Regulatory Authority
- Learn more about Education Required for Addiction Counselor Credentialing
- Licensed Professional Counselor Ability to Diagnose
Licensed mental health counselors provide services such as prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment of mental, emotional, behavioral, and addiction disorders to individuals, groups, organizations, or the general public. Counselors assist an individual or group, through psychotherapy and the counseling relationship, to develop an understanding of personal problems, to define goals, and to plan actions reflecting his or their interests, abilities, aptitudes and needs as these are related to personal and social concerns, educational progress, and occupations and careers. La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §37-1103(10)
- Learn more about Licensed Professional Counselor Ability to Diagnose
- Number of Nurse Practitioners Prescribing Buprenorphine
As of August 2018, 61 NPs in Louisiana have received a federal waiver to treat opioid dependency with buprenorphine-containing products. Consistent with their prescriptive authority and with proper training or appropriate experience an NP can receive a federal waiver to dispense buprenorphine-containing products, as long as the supervising physician is certified, trained, or permitted to treat and manage patients with opioid use disorder. La Admin. Code §46-XLVII.4513(D)
- Learn more about Number of Nurse Practitioners Prescribing Buprenorphine
- Number of Physician Assistants Prescribing Buprenorphine
As of August 2018, 4 PAs in Louisiana have received a federal waiver to treat opioid dependency with buprenorphine-containing products. In Louisiana, Schedule II-V controlled substances may be prescribed by a PA as delegated by a supervising physician. A Louisiana PA with proper training or appropriate experience can receive a federal waiver to dispense buprenorphine-containing products, as long as the supervising physician is certified, trained, or permitted to treat and manage patients with opioid use disorder. La. Rev. Stat. §37:1360.31(C)
- Learn more about Number of Physician Assistants Prescribing Buprenorphine
- Peer Support Specialist Certification or Credentialing Authority
The requirements for peer support specialists are established by the Office of Behavioral Health in the Louisiana Department of Health. These requirements include minimum qualifications, training and continued education.
- Learn more about Peer Support Specialist Certification or Credentialing Authority
- Authority to Sign POLST Forms
Only physicians are authorized to sign physician order for scope of treatment forms. La. Rev. Stat. §40:1155.3
- Learn more about Authority to Sign POLST Forms
- Practice Authority
A collaborative practice agreement is required and includes parameters agreed upon by the NP and the supervising physician. The agreement must include availability of the collaborating physician for consultation and/or referral, methods of management, and coverage of care in the absence of the physician. La. Admin. Code §46-XLVII.4513
- Learn more about Practice Authority
- Prescriptive Authority
A collaborative practice agreement must outline the prescriptive authority requirements from the authorizing physician. The NP may prescribe prescription drugs and Schedule II-V controlled substances. La Admin. Code §46-XLVII.4513(D)
- Learn more about Prescriptive Authority
- Nurse Practitioner as a Primary Care Provider
NPs are recognized in state policy as primary care providers. AN NP chooses a population focus, which refers to one of the areas of concentrated study and practice provided to a collection of specified individuals who have characteristics in common. A broad, population-based focus of study encompasses common problems and aspects of that group of patients and the likely co-morbidities, interventions, and responses to those problems. Examples include, but are not limited to neonatal, pediatric, women’s health, adult, family, mental health, etc. La. Admin. Code §46-XLVII.4505
- Learn more about Nurse Practitioner as a Primary Care Provider
- Authority to perform ophthalmic procedures
Optometrists may perform all procedures included in their full scope of practice, including surgical and laser procedures. La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §37:1041
- Learn more about Authority to perform ophthalmic procedures
- Injectable Authority
Optometrists may administer all pharmaceutical agents for the diagnosis and treatment of eye diseases, including epinephrine auto-injections to counter anaphylaxis. La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §37:1041
- Learn more about Injectable Authority
- Prescription of controlled substances
Optometrists may prescribe Schedule III-V controlled substances and also Schedule II hydrocodone or hydrocodone combination medications. La. Rev. Stat. Ann. §37:1041(2)
- Learn more about Prescription of controlled substances
- Dental Hygienists with Direct Access
Louisiana does not allow dental hygienist to practice with direct access.
- Learn more about Dental Hygienists with Direct Access
- Dental Therapists
Statute does not identify dental therapists as an oral health provider.
- Learn more about Dental Therapists
- Practice of Teledentistry
Louisiana does not explicitly allow for the practice of teledentistry.
- Learn more about Practice of Teledentistry
- Administration of COVID-19 Vaccine
Louisiana has not enacted legislation allowing pharmacists to administer the COVID-19 vaccine. However, the federal PREP Act does allow pharmacists to administer the COVID-19 vaccine through the duration of the public health emergency.
- Learn more about Administration of COVID-19 Vaccine
- Prescription Adaptation
Louisiana does not allow pharmacists to modify prescriptions.
- Learn more about Prescription Adaptation
- Prescription of Hormonal Contraceptives
Louisiana does not allow pharmacists to prescribe hormonal contraceptives.
- Learn more about Prescription of Hormonal Contraceptives
- Prescription of Tobacco Cessation Aids
Louisiana does not allow pharmacists to prescribe tobacco cessation aids.
- Learn more about Prescription of Tobacco Cessation Aids
- Supervision Requirements
Supervision is determined between the physician and the PA. Physical presence of the supervising physician at the time and place of services rendered is not required. La. Rev. Stat. §37:1360.28
- Learn more about Supervision Requirements
- Prescriptive Authority for Physician Assistants
A PA may prescribe drugs and Schedules II-V controlled substances as delegated by the supervising physician. La. Rev. Stat. §37:1360.31(C)
- Learn more about Prescriptive Authority for Physician Assistants
- Scope of Practice Determination
The medical services performed by the PA are assigned by the supervising physician. Performance of medical services must be within the scope of the PA’s education, training and experience. La. Rev. Stat. §37:1360.31
- Learn more about Scope of Practice Determination
Most Recent Louisiana SOP Legislative Search Results
H 495 : Nurses
Allows full practice authority for advanced practice registered nurses.
Subject: NP Practice Authority, NP Prescriptive Authority
H 442 : Physician Assistants
Provides relative to the licensed profession of physician assistant.
Subject: PA Supervision Requirements
H 181 : Nurses and Registered
Provides relative to admitting privileges for psychiatric mental health nurse…
Subject: Other Nurse Practitioner Bills
H 864 : Advanced Practice Registered Nursing
Provides relative to advanced practice registered nursing.
Subject: NP Practice Authority
H 822 : Behavioral Health
Relates to the practice of counseling of persons with addictive…
Subject: Addiction Counselors
Click a state for more information.
Mobile users can use this dropdown of states if the map is too small.